77°
Delivering Digital Prep News Since 2024

The Little Hoya

The Little Hoya

The Little Hoya

Mr. Graham Gives Class of 2028 Overview

Do you remember where you were when you opened your admissions decision from Prep? Or how you reacted seeing the acceptance letter? On February 20th, prospective Prep students received their decision letters, and many students found out they were accepted into Georgetown Prep. Prep officially welcomed these new students and their parents on Tuesday, February 27, during Accepted Students Night. After first meeting in the chapel, eighth graders and their parents separated. Parents walked over to the library for a reception while accepted students mingled in the George Cafe with coaches, teachers, and current students. From there, they migrated to the stadium where Spikeball nets and footballs awaited them.

Although the field games were the highlight of the night for many of the incoming students, the event also featured talks in the Chapel given by members of Prep’s administration to help the parents understand Prep better. Mr. Graham, Prep’s Director of Admissions and the face of Prep for many prospective students, played a key role in organizing this event, so we reached out to him to discuss the event and the broader topic of the admissions process this year.

Mr. Graham said “two-thirds” of those who attended Accepted Students Night  know they will enroll in Prep’s Class of 2028 in the fall. “But for the final third,” he added, “it’s an opportunity to see your classmates, see who will be your best friends for life, talk to coaches and teachers, and learn what a warm, loving place this is.” Thus, Accepted Students Night serves a vital role in convincing those on the fence to say yes to Prep.

Mr. Graham also highlighted the importance of Hoya for a Day, which he deems as “100 percent” the biggest pull factor for prospective students in the admissions process. According to him, this process of getting “thrown in the mix” of a school day allows students to view the “strong teacher-student relationships” formed at Prep. “Hats off to the faculty,” Mr. Graham said, especially proud of teachers’ work to make their classrooms comfortable, welcoming, and immersive to prospective students.

Mr. Graham’s personal favorite part of the entire process is the interview because it allows him to “get to know the families and students.” He also enjoys the day they send out decisions. “The immediate feedback is always exciting,” said Mr. Graham.

We concluded our conversation by asking about his expectations for the incoming Class of 2028. “Keep it rollin’ ’round here,” Mr. Graham remarked. “When you look around, [there are] guys that want to work hard in the classroom, guys that work hard in clubs and athletics; the play last week was over the top.” Mr. Graham believes this attitude of hard work and close friendships makes Prep the school it is. Next fall, the Class of 2028 will step onto campus, ready to open the next chapter of this brotherhood and leave its mark on Prep’s history.

Donate to The Little Hoya

Your donation will support the student journalists of Georgetown Preparatory School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.