78°
Delivering Digital Prep News Since 2024

The Little Hoya

The Little Hoya

Delivering Digital Prep News Since 2024

The Little Hoya

2023-2024 School Year in Review

The 2023-2024 school year for Georgetown Prep was one to remember. It was a year that featured strong traditions, fun events, great games, and brotherhood through it all. Chariot races, Pep rallies, Prep Idol, the Spelling Bee, and a busy school year in and out of the classroom created a lot of memories. Today we will be taking a deep dive into it.

Photo by Mike Young, ’24 (Mike Young)

The fall was extremely busy, with the class of 2027 entering our community and quickly becoming acclimated to the Prep family. The returning students were ready for what was to be an exciting, but crazy, fall semester. Students were welcomed by a great football season with an IAC championship and a major soccer victory with our Hoyas defeating Jesuit rival Gonzaga. Additionally, Prep had its first-ever water polo team consisting of many first-year players. Prep’s Cross-Country team had one of its strongest seasons in years with Jack Sullivan, ’24 and Luke Knestout, ’24 winning All IAC. The food drive was a huge success with Prep doubling the amount of canned food collected since last year, resulting in a prize to allow a student a full-ride scholarship to Prep. In addition, Homecoming was a fun night after a hard-fought victory over rival Landon in football. Halloween approached and the annual costume contest arrived. Joe Doherty, ’26 in a doctor costume won the crowd’s approval, defeating Mingfei He, ’26. Also, Prep’s String Quartet was very impressive and showcased their skills during Mass throughout the year. As leaves began to fall from the trees around St. Ignatius, winter crept in.

Winter may be the slowest season at Prep, but it is still a prominent part of the school year. Key events that make winter so special at Prep include packing the cabin on Friday nights, Founder’s Day, and big basketball games against rivals such as Bullis and Gonzaga. With this year’s winter season also came an abundance of snow days to the delight of Prep students and Prep teachers alike. In addition to the flurries, the Prep Swim and Dive team secured their astonishing 23rd IAC title.

Prep’s Swim and Dive team with their IAC trophy

As said in the theater, bravo to the play cast who acted in the amazing play Something Rotten. The campus lit up once again with cherry blossoms as the warm weather returned.

The spring brought everybody back outside, allowing students to play spike ball, have outdoor classes, and enjoy the beautiful Prep campus. Excitement arose with all the popular sports returning for their highly anticipated seasons as Prep’s baseball, golf, and lacrosse teams looked to repeat the success they had last year. The Rugby team traveled to London where they engaged in spirited international competition. Prep also held its second annual Chariot Races, which brought about fun and friendly competition between some of Prep’s athletes and Latin scholars. The spring also featured countless other events, including Prom, the Gala, and the Solar Eclipse viewing party.

The 2023-2024 school year was filled with countless memories that will last a lifetime in the minds of Prep students. On behalf of the students, I would like to thank the faculty and staff who make Prep so special for us. And, as always, none of this could have happened without our seniors, who truly made this year unlike any other.

Donate to The Little Hoya

Your donation will support the student journalists of Georgetown Preparatory School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.