78°
Delivering Digital Prep News Since 2024

The Little Hoya

The Little Hoya

Delivering Digital Prep News Since 2024

The Little Hoya

Bye, Bye, High School, Hello College!

Bye, Bye, High School, Hello College!

Seniors, you probably cannot wait for the thrills and excitement that you know the college experience will bring. But, the transition from high school to college can be stressful and can take a toll on your mental health if you do not have a plan on how to tackle this monumental milestone in your life. So, here are five tips to assist you in coping with and managing this significant change.

First, it is crucial to maintain the beneficial habits that make you happier and healthier and ditch the ones that have plagued and tormented you. Luckily, you already have a strong sense of which routines work best for you and which ones do not from your experiences over the last four years. The formation of good habits is necessary, and taking small steps and just doing the bare minimum to start making an action a habit is a great way to approach it, says Psychology Today. Also, when it comes to breaking bad habits, forming new positive ones to replace them is the most successful way. Strong habits are incredibly powerful, and my favorite author, Herman Melville, once wrote, “Yet habit—strange thing! What cannot habit accomplish?”

Second, do not forget to prioritize your academics! It can be easy to skip college classes due to late nights or from a belief that your professors don’t care if you are there. Even if you didn’t get the chance to complete the homework or even look at the readings, you should still go to class. Studies show that those who attend their lectures perform better academically than those who do not. Furthermore, skipping class even once could form a habit which may be hard to break. You are responsible for your success, so do not throw away your opportunities.

Third, always remember to make sleep, nutrition, and exercise a top priority. This is the most important takeaway from this article because you will only be able to achieve great things during your college years if you maintain a consistent sleep schedule, have a healthy diet, and work out regularly. A study from the University of British Columbia found that college students prioritizing these three necessities demonstrated higher levels of cognitive function and lower stress levels. In addition, these students felt happier each day and therefore enjoyed their college experience even more.

Fourth, get involved in college extracurriculars because social connections matter greatly. Not only can they boost your mood, but they can also help you truly embrace the college spirit and potentially come in handy later in life. For example, joining clubs you are interested in is a great first step to growing your social connections and enabling you to spread your passion to your campus. Mrs. Napolitano’s advice is to “explore college extracurriculars now so you know what to find when you move to campus.” This is fantastic advice for starting your college experience on the right foot.

Fifth, remember to connect with an adult mentor, especially if your college experience is not going as planned or if you notice something is up. Not only are they there to help you, they want to help you in any way they can at any point. It is always a good idea to meet with someone if you need advice or want someone to talk things over with.

Seniors, I wish you the best of luck these next four years and hope you will live it up, explore, and embark on adventures. I also cannot wait to see the amazing things you will accomplish in the future. Remember to come back and visit Prep!

Donate to The Little Hoya

Your donation will support the student journalists of Georgetown Preparatory School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.